Halloween Baby

29 Oct

Today I am 40 weeks and 3 days pregnant with no sign of labor anywhere in sight.

I had a doctor’s appointment today to check any progress and schedule an induction for the end of the week. 

My progress was basically nothing, although my cervix is softening, which I guess is the first step. 

The doctor went to go call the hospital to schedule my induction just to find out that the nurses will be going on strike at the  end of the week and would be out 5 days. My doctor won’t let me go past 41 weeks and the nurses won’t admit any inductions during the strike so a midweek induction was the latest date we could get in order to give me time to go into labor on my own. Problem with that date is that I likely would be in active labor when the switch is made between the striking nurses and the fill in nurses.

The doctor said that although the fill in nurses are qualified, she often has to micro manage her patient’s care during the strike time since the new nurses are less familiar with the systems of our particular hospital. This meant I had a decision to make…try to get an earlier induction scheduled in order to at least HAVE the baby with the regular nurses or keep with the original date.

I know inductions are often associated with harder labors, so I was hoping to give myself as long as possible to be able to go into labor on my own. However, I also am worried about being in labor with fill in nurses in charge of my care. After a good cry and conferring with my doctor and a few nurse friends, The Hubs and I thought it would be best to try to get as early induction as possible.

I was hoping to get induced sometime today to make totally sure I would be under the care of regular nurses, however I guess they are slammed today and can’t take an “elective” induction. Full moon curse I guess…

So the earliest I can go in is tomorrow morning. I have to call an hour before, but I’m hoping that they can keep my induction time of 6-7am.  Then I have to hope the baby comes within 48 hrs before the nurses go on strike on Thursday morning at 7am.

In the meantime, I’m doing whatever I can to make some sort of progress. I’ve walked 5.4 miles today alone and hope to clock in another mile this evening sometime. We are going to finish packing the car tonight and have everything ready to go. We are going to bring in some food to eat, maybe have a glass of wine and enjoy the last night in the house just the two of us.

So considering it looks like tomorrow will be all about make some sort of cervical progress, it looks like we’ll hopefully have a Halloween baby. At least that is what I’m hoping for…

If I’m not in too much pain tomorrow, I plan on trying to catch up on my 39 and 40 week updates while we are waiting around for stuff to happen. In the meantime, I guess I’ll see ya all on the flip side as a MOM! 


One Response to “Halloween Baby”

  1. Amy October 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

    BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!! I will be thinking of you tomorrow!!! 🙂

Let's Chat!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: